If you are looking for self tanning tips, you've come to the right place!
If you haven't tried a sunless tanning product in a while because you historically had a bad experience, we encourage you to give it another try! Today's self-tanning products tend to be cleaner, easier to use, and longer lasting than their predecessors. Some of our tips are a must to ensure your self-applied tan looks even and lasts as long as it can.
Here are some helpful tips:
- Exfoliate, Exfoliate, Exfoliate! Previous to applying any sunless lotion or spray, it's important to get rid of the top layer of skin, and apply your product to "new" skin so that your tan looks even, and will last and fade just like a natural tan (for several days).
- Wash your hands! To ensure you do not stain your hands, wash them every several minutes while applying. Make sure to also clean the palms of your hands! Baby Wipes, or Wet Ones work very well if you don't have a faucet readily available.
- Do not shave your legs for at least ½ a day previous to applying any sunless product.
- As soon as you've completed application, apply regular lotion on "tough to tan" areas (like elbows/knees/ankles/belly button) to lighten the tan. These areas tend to look "dirty" if too much product is applied. Also use a good quality lotion around wrists and backs of hands to "blend" the tan with your arms, and on the tops of feet to blend with your legs.
- If your sunless tanning lotion leaves you feeling "sticky", apply bath powder to your skin up to an hour after application. DO NOT rub it in - Use a large body powder applicator (puff) to apply.
- After your sunless tan has developed, and you notice areas that may be too dark or uneven, you can use hydrogen peroxide to lighten dark spots. Apply with a cotton ball, and be sure to rinse the hydrogen peroxide off your skin afterwards.
- Once you've achieved the ideal sexy tan you are looking for, utilize a tan extending moisturizer or maintainer EVERY DAY! To ensure your tan fades evenly and naturally, it is imperative to keep your skin moisturized throughout the life of your tan.
- You will want to wait a minimum of 4-6 hours before showering or getting these areas wet with water or perspiration. Because of the active ingredient in all good quality sunless tanners, the color will darken over a 24 hour period, giving you a nice golden glow!
- Everybody has different skin tones, and certain things work well for some, and not others. Experiment, and find the exact process that works for you to get you the perfect shade!